The Competitive Edge Summer Research Program is designed to support entering graduate students from diverse backgrounds who plan to pursue a doctoral or M.F.A. degree and prepare for an academic career. Participants are provided with an opportunity to work on exciting research projects during an eight-week summer research program. The program begins on June 26, 2017 and ends August 18, 2017.
BENEFITS & FUNDING
- Advanced introduction to UCI faculty
- Advanced introduction to UCI campus resources
- Early move-in to graduate campus housing
- Acquisition of critical teaching skills through workshops and lectures
- Early mentorship from UCI faculty and peer mentors
- A community-like experience with support from a peer cohort and the UCI Graduate Division
- Summer stipend of $5,000
- Priority is first given to students receiving a Graduate Division Diversity Recruitment Fellowship which includes a Graduate Opportunity Fellowship (GOF), a Euguene Cota-Robles Fellowship (ECR), a Diversity Recruitment Fellowship (DRF), or a Nevin Fellowship.
- All participants must be doctoral or M.F.A. students entering their first year of graduate study at UCI.
- Participants must be underrepresented in their academic disciplines.
Participants must commit to a full-time, eight-week summer research program from late June through mid-August of the summer prior to their enrollment as a doctoral or MFA student at UCI. Summer program commitment includes about 35-40 hours of research per week, along with workshops, lectures, and other preparatory events to be held throughout the summer.
Current students interested in participating in the 2017 Competitive Edge Summer Research Program as a peer mentor for an incoming doctoral or M.F.A student click here (information coming).
CONTACT INFORMATIONJason Cruz
DECADE and Recruitment Coordinator
Tel.: (949) 824-1281
Fax: (949) 824-9096