The UCI Graduate Professional Success (GPS) Initiative was developed to organize Graduate Division’s workshops and certificate programs around 8 core competencies (listed below).
- Discipline-specific conceptual knowledge
- Research skill development
- Careers and Entrepreneurship
- Teaching and Pedagogy
- Communication and Cultural Fluency
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- Leadership and Management
- Life Skills
All postdoctoral scholars are strongly encouraged to conduct a self-assessment and establish plans for improving these competencies during their UCI postdoctoral appointment using an Individual Development Plan (IDP) with their mentor. The IDP process will help guide the postdoc on how to take advantage of UCI’s many resources.
Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA) Upcoming Events
Events and calendar are posted and updated on a weekly basis on the Postdoc Weekly page
Graduate Resource Center Events
- Click here to review GRC certificate programs, workshops and other professional support services.
Several UCI-affiliated units also offer professional development and networking opportunities. Be sure to check their websites and calendars for upcoming events.
- UCI Postdoctoral Association (PDA)- Offers professional development and networking opportunities
- Center for Engaged Instruction (CEI)- Provides training in pedagogy and innovative teaching.
- UCI Applied Innovation- Fosters UCI Entrepreneurship and UCI-industry alliances
- UCI Office of Research – Supports UCI’s research enterprise and researcher development.
- UCI GPS-Biomed- Provides professional development for postdocs in the biomedical sciences
- International Center- Serves international scholars through advising, immigration services, programming, advocacy, and outreach.
- UCI Data Science Initiative Coordinates the activities of researchers and students across campus involved in various aspects of data science
Additional Resources: The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) - UCI Postdocs can join free as an affiliate individual member.
Pursuing a Career in Academia
- National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
- From PhD to Professoriate-The Role of the Institution in Fostering the Advancement of Postdoc Women
- Vitae-Chronicle of Higher Education's academic job and career advice portal.
- AAAS-Careers for Scientists and Engineers
- Making the Right Moves-A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty (Burroughs Wellcome Fund & Howard Hughes Medical Institute)
- Educause- Advancement of Higher Education though the Use of Information Technology
- Merlot- Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching
Launching a Career Outside of Academics
- PhD Career Guide
- Advancing Postdoc Women Guidebook
- Career Exploration for STEM Discipline
- AAAS- Careers for Scientists and Engineers
- Non-Academic Options for PhDs in Humanities and Social Science
- Career Options via NeuroJobs Career Center
- Non-academic Career Search- Univ. of Michigan
Career Training Programs/Fellowships for PhDs
- AAAS Policy and Mass Media Fellowships
- California Science and Technology Policy Fellowships
- FDA Commissioner’s Fellowship for Regulatory Science Research
- Hellman Fellowships in Science and Technology Policy
Postdoctoral Scholar Exit Survey-POSES To be completed during the last month of postdoctoral training at UC Irvine.