Many academic units offer teaching opportunities to outstanding graduate students who are employed in the following titles:
Appointments are for a maximum of half-time service (20 hours/week); require registration as a full-time student (12 units); and require students to meet academic requirements for satisfactory progress. The duration and extent of such appointments vary by academic unit.
Assistantship offers are made to students by the academic unit following formal admission to graduate study. Please contact your department for further information.
- Minimum GPA of 3.1 for Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 for Readers & Tutors
- Satisfactory academic progress towards degree objective
- A letter grade of C, S, or above in all courses completed
- No more than 2 Incomplete grades
Click here for information on union representation.
Click here for information on English Proficiency requirements.
Benefits for Graduate Students Employed as ASEs
Graduate students who are appointed as Teaching Assistants and Teaching Associates at 25% time (110 hours of assigned workload) or greater and for graduate students who are appointed as Tutors and Readers for a guaranteed minimum of 110 hours of assigned workload within the respective quarter’s service period are entitled to the following benefits:
- Partial Fee Remission: Payment of 100% of the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP) premium and 100% of the Student Services Fee and Tuition components of a student’s assessment per quarter. Note that this does not include payment of Non- Resident Supplemental Tuition, nor does it include payment of local campus fees.
- Defined Contribution Plan (DCP) coverage in accordance with UC Retirement Plan. (Summer Employment only)
- Childbirth Leave and Child Care Reimbursement