Fletcher Jones Fellowship
The Fletcher Jones Fellowship is a highly prestigious award, made available through funding from the Fletcher Jones Foundation. It is competitively awarded to an outstanding doctoral student who has advanced to candidacy and demonstrates financial need. The award of a one-year fellowship of $19,039 is intended to assist with doctoral degree completion.
The call for nominations for this year's Fletcher Jones Fellowship competition at UCI can be found here.Fletcher Jones Fellowship
Fletcher Jones Foundation Home Page
$19,039 (full award)
Since this award will be disbursed monthly throughout the 2016-2017 academic year, nominated students must not plan to graduate before the conclusion of Spring Quarter 2017. As this fellowship is intended to support doctoral degree completion, students demonstrating a clear plan and strong likelihood of filing their dissertation by the summer dissertation filing deadline at the end of the award year will be given the strongest consideration.
Each School may nominate one outstanding doctoral student who meets the following minimum criteria:
- Shows financial need
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal and leadership abilities
- Has a UCI GPA of 3.8 or better through Spring Quarter 2016
- Has advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D.
- Is making satisfactory academic progress toward their degree
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
As this fellowship is intended to support doctoral degree completion, students demonstrating a clear plan and strong likelihood of filing their dissertation by the summer dissertation filing deadline at the end of the award year will be given the strongest consideration.
Graduate students should consult with their program graduate affairs staff for submission instructions.
All individual student nominations must include the following:
- A completed UCI Fletcher Jones Fellowship Nomination Form.
- A completed Student Information Form, including the following:
- 100-word statement of financial need (note any gaps in support, dependents, etc.)
- 100-word student profile
- 500-word statement by the nominee describing their research project, progress to date, and plan for completion. Nominees should describe their research in terms that are accessible to a general audience since the reviewers may not be in their field.
- A current CV.
- Letters of recommendation from the following:
- The student’s faculty advisor/mentor (this letter should address the student’s financial need, interpersonal and leadership abilities, satisfactory academic progress, and expected date of degree completion)
- The student’s department chair or program advisor
The nomination package should be forwarded with the signature of the School or Program’s Associate Dean. A letter of recommendation from the Associate Dean is not required.
Questions should be directed to Kate Triglia, 949-824-9031.
The deadline for e-mail receipt of completed/signed nomination packages is 5pm on Thursday, September 1st, 2016. Please note that Schools and Programs may have earlier internal submission deadlines.
If students have applied for and accepted Financial Aid loans or Work-Study awards and subsequently receive any fellowships, the additional support may affect their eligibility for need-based financial aid. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to determine if their eligibility will be affected. Students should also review the terms of any funding that they have accepted for AY 2016-2017 to ensure that they are eligible to receive additional fellowship funding.