Finding affordable housing close to campus may be a challenging task for new postdoctoral scholars at UC Irvine. Although some on-campus housing may be available, it is not guaranteed; therefore, we strongly advise that you consider a broad range of options. If you need tips, connecting with other postdocs – both current and new – can be a valuable resource. The Graduate Resource Center staff may be able to provide advice as well. Here are some options to explore:
- Staff and Faculty Housing in University Hills: Although opportunities are very limited, we encourage all interested postdoctoral scholars to add their name to the waiting list.
- Puerta del Sol: UCI’s newest on-campus apartment community. This apartment complex offers fully furnished apartments with private bedrooms and convenient access to campus.
- Apartments: Apartment communities in areas surrounding UCI cost on average $1,600/month for a large one-bedroom apartment and $2,400/month for a 3-bedroom apartment. Rentals require 2 months’ rent in advance plus security deposits ranging from $600 to $1000. For more information visit Student Housing. This site offers links to information on how to find a home and other valuable resources.
- Housing Outreach Services: Located in the Student Center - G465 the Housing Outreach Services provides additional information and resources regarding UCI and off-campus housing.
Other sites that can help you plan your move to Irvine include:
- Irvine Public Schools (if you have children)
- City of Irvine
- County of Orange
- Orange County Register
- Los Angeles Times
If you have further questions, contact Housing Administrative Services or call at 949-824-7247.