The GRC provides writing services for the diverse needs of academic writing.
Writing consultants provide 60-minute individual meetings for writing in all disciplines for all registered graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Writing consultants can review:
- Academic writing (publications, dissertation/thesis, conference papers, etc.)
- Funding applications including grants and fellowships
- Job application materials (CV, resume, cover letter, teaching statement, etc.)
Appointments are available:
Monday-Thursday from 9am-7pm
Friday from 9am-5pm
*Schedule will vary during summer, finals, and school breaks
Schedule a writing consultant appointment online or call the GRC at 949-824-3849
Powered by Appointment-Plus
The Dissertation Boot Camps provides an intensive three-day writing opportunity for graduate students during any stage of writing the dissertationwriting process. The boot camp format includes:
- Three days of structured writing time in a quiet, distraction-free setting
- Brief lessons on goal setting and sustainable writing practices
- Individualized writing consultation meetings to address specific writing needs
- Opportunities for continued, peer-driven dissertation writing sessions
Contact the GRC to find out when the next Dissertation Boot Camp is scheduled.
Write-ins provide dedicated times for participants to do more than write quietly in the same room. Write-ins promote the development of healthy writing habits and instant access to a GRC writing consultant. Participants set goals for the write-in, keep each other accountable for their goals, and are often surprised by hw much they can write when they are free of distractions.
This series of workshops addresses the specific grammar and language mechanics confronted by writers whose first language is not English. Taught in tandem with native speakers who excel in English writing, these workshop target the unique needs of first language speakers of Korean, Chinese, Farsi and Spanish to address problems common to their native language group. The workshops will take place in winter quarter.
Writing groups are a valuable way to stay motivated and receive feedback about your writing. The GRC has several writing groups that welcome participants from all disciplines:
- Mondays 9 AM - 12 PM
- Tuesdays 10 AM - 12 PM
GRC has also hosted targeted writing groups focused on:
- Grants or fellowship application process
- Dissertation or thesis writing
- Academic job applications
Want to form a writing group? The GRC can help with:
- Scheduling a meeting place
- Arranging a writing consultant to help you get started
- Promoting your writing group to the campus community
Writing consultants present workshops throughout the year relating to scholarly writing and other aspects of graduate student life. Recent examples include:
- Getting it “Right”: The Necessity of Error in Academic Writing
- Citation and Writing Software
- Breaking Down Big Writing Projects
- Streamline Your Writing with Scrivener
- Clean-Up Crew: Editing and Filing Your Thesis or Dissertation
The GRC provides a quiet place to write with wireless internet access and comfortable seating.