Graduate Resource Center
Dedicated to supporting the academic and professional success of all UC Irvine graduate students and postdoctoral scholars, the Graduate Resource Center (GRC) has everything you need to succeed. The GRC offers workshops and programs designed to support professional development; writing support; communication; preparation of grant and fellowship funding applications; wellness and work-life balance; mentoring and much more!
- Support during the transitions of new graduate students and postdocs to the UC Irvine campus
- Host academic courses and certificate programs for professional and personal development
- Individual consultation for career planning, funding opportunities, public speaking coaching and graduate preparation
- Resource library
- Reservable space for studying, meetings and events
- Building connections to campus resources and with other graduate students
Stop by to explore the many resources we have to offer or contact us by phone 949-824-3849 or email.
The Graduate Resource Center (GRC) is open:
- Monday through Thursday from 9AM - 7PM
- Fridays from 9AM - 5PM
The GRC is located on the third floor of the Gateway Study Center - in between the Langson Library and the Cross-Cultural Center, directly across from Aldrich Hall. The main entrance is located at the rear of the building (facing Aldrich Park). Click here for a map to the GRC.
The GRC hosts academic courses and certificate programs throughout the year.
Excellent communication skills are essential to professional success. This includes public speaking, interpersonal communication,, interview techniques, and the ability comfortably to a variety of audiences. Click here to learn more about these initiatives.
Science Communication Skills (Phy Sci 220)
- Public Speaking: Activate to Captivate
- Interview Skills Boot Camp
- Public Speaking Boot Camp
- Communications Consultants
- Quarterly workshops:
- Networking Step 1: Introducing Yourself
- Communicating with Confidence
- Crafting a Persuasive Research Statement for the Job Search
- One Hour Presentations: Public Speaking Strategies for Job Talks, Colloquia, and Lab Meetings
- Effective Communication: Persuading Others
- Presentation Fundamentals: Giving a Good Talk
The need for writing assistance is a top priority for grad students and post docs. Writing support is offered in a variety of areas including:
- Writing consultants
- Dissertation Boot Camp
- ESL/ELL Academic Writing series
- Writing Groups
- Dedicated writing space
Schedule a writing consultant appointment online or call the GRC at 949-824-3849.
The GRC works with faculty and campus resource centers to offer in-depth workshops on topics including professional development, writing skills, work-life balance, and funding opportunities including:
- $mart $tart - Salary Negotiation Skills
- How to Work with Others without Losing Friends
- Imagine Yourself Outside of Academia
- Communicating with Confidence
Register for workshops online or by contacting the GRC via:
- PHONE: 949-824-3849
- E-MAIL: GRC@uci.edu
Powered by Appointment-Plus
To support the academic and professional development of graduate students and postdoctoral scholars, the GRC manages a resource library filled with books on topics including:
- Scientific writing and communication
- How to conduct research
- Writing for non-native English speakers
- Career options outside of academia