SURF - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
THE 2020 SUMMER UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH PROGRAM WILL BE HELD VIRTUALLY FROM
JULY 6-AUGUST 13, 2020
UC Irvine’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program offers undergraduate and master’s diversity students an opportunity to work closely with faculty mentors on research projects and provides an intense course of graduate preparation workshops. SURF is designed for students who plan to pursue a Ph.D. or M.F.A. degree and enter academic careers, provides the tools needed to facilitate application, admission, and enrollment to graduate school. The SURF program is open to virtually all academic fields at UC Irvine. Qualified students with interest in pursuing their graduate program at UC Irvine are especially encouraged to apply.
Graduate School Preparation
Scholars participate in a graduate preparation component to provide special training in areas critical to academic success. This includes workshops and sessions on the following:
- Successfully applying to graduate school
- Successfully applying for fellowships
- GRE preparation courses
- Academic writing
- Preparing academic presentations
- Academic career planning
Throughout the Summer Research Program, SURF participants will have the opportunity to share information and experiences with participants of other diversity programs including UC LEADS California Pre-Doctoral Program and the DECADE Competitive Edge Program. Participants will also be assigned to a Graduate Student Mentor who will help facilitate their participation in the program, and will serve as a peer mentor and point of reference for the student. This is a great opportunity for participants to gain insight into the life of a UC Irvine graduate student.
Expectations of Student Participants
- Scholars attend and participate in all activities
- Scholars will be expected to meet with the program coordinator during regularly scheduled meetings to discuss the progress of their research project
- Scholars will be required to submit weekly assignments including program evaluation
- U.S. citizens, permanent residents, AB540 eligible
- Juniors, seniors or master’s students interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
- Students who will be enrolled full-time at a college or university during the Spring and Fall 2020 terms
- Students with a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or better (on a 4 point scale)
- Students interested in attending UC Irvine for graduate studies
- Students from educationally disadvantaged or underserved backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply
- SURF is open to students in virtually all academic fields (e.g., arts, humanities, social sciences, social ecology, biological sciences, engineering, education, computer sciences, and physical sciences)
- International students are not eligible for SURF
- UCI students are not eligbile for SURF
Funding Package for 2020 Virtual Program:
- Students will have the option of choosing a $500 stipend for their participation in the program or a GRE preparation course
- On-campus housing will not be available
INTERESTED IN APPLYING?
2020 APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED. Summer 2021 application will open November 2020.
Graduate Student Mentors
Graduate Student Mentors will have the opportunity to mentor diverse undergraduates in the areas of academic writing and graduate preparation. This six-week program runs from July 6th - August 14, 2020. Graduate Student Mentors will commit 5 to 7 hours of work each week. Students from all disciplines (STEM and non-STEM) are encouraged to apply
Benefits and Compensation
- Engage with diverse undergraduate students and play a significant role in helping them achieve graduate readiness
- Acquire mentoring skills and experience in group settings
- Stipend of up to $500 is payable upon completion of duties and completion of Mentoring Excellence Program (MEP)
- The Graduate Student Mentor position is not a residential position and will not include compensation for housing.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Doctoral students currently in their second year or beyond are preferred (first-year students will be considered)
- Completion of the Mentoring Excellence Program (MEP) is required - If not yet completed, applicants must enroll and successfully complete the MEP certificate program this summer
- Must be in good academic standing
- Past or current experience working with diverse student backgrounds is preferred
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Provide mentorship to assigned participant(s) via virtual platforms such as zoom.
- Provide mentees with feedback on program assignments which will include:
- Personal history statements, statements of purpose, and presentation
- Share experiences to inform undergraduate students about graduate school life and available research opportunities
- Report any concerns regarding mentee(s)' progress or well-being to Program Coordinator
- Graduate Student Mentors should be available for writing workshops from 9:00-11:00 am on the following dates
- Friday, July 10th
- Friday, July 17th
- Friday, July 24th
- Friday, July 31th
- Friday, August 7th
Application deadline: Monday, June 1st, 2020 at 12:00 PM NOON
- The completed application must be received by the deadline to be considered
- Please upload your resume/CV directly to the application
Note: the SURF program is only open to non-UCI students.
For questions please contact:
Outreach and Recruitment Coordinator