What Sets Us Apart
UC Irvine is an engaged, innovative and world-class research university. As a young and dynamic campus, we educate the most promising graduate students and prepare them as future leaders. We are looking for students, like you, who are passionate about learning and creating knowledge. Our faculty and graduate students continue to develop new technologies, explore innovative approaches to research challenges, and foster excellence in scholarship. Explore the possibilities and see how UC Irvine can inspire you to make a difference.
What We Offer
- Funding Opportunities. UC Irvine is committed to supporting your graduate student success. We offer many resources to support your funding goals and most PhD programs guarantee students at least five years of full financial support. Not only do we have a wide variety of internal fellowships, but we also help students to secure external support. Read More
- Guaranteed On-Campus Housing for Doctoral Students. UC Irvine offers guaranteed on-campus housing to all new Ph.D., M.F.A. and J.D. students who are admitted prior to the housing application deadline. Housing offers are for one of six graduate housing communities and must be accepted prior to arrival at UCI. Read More
- Graduate Professional Success (GPS). The GPS initiative is designed to ensure that our graduate students and postdocs develop the breadth of professional skills that are needed to define a strong career path. Read More
- Inclusive Excellence. We strive to create and nurture an environment that encourages all students and faculty to participate in programs that foster equity and access. Inclusive excellence flourishes in the support we provide, the education you receive and the people you meet in our multicultural community. Read More
- Academic Support. In addition to the support provided by each graduate program, the UC Irvine Graduate Division offers the services of a graduate academic counselor who can help our graduate students troubleshoot issues and problem solve.
- Location, Location, Location! UC Irvine is a beautiful campus in a Mediterranean climate zone minutes away from the beach and the mountains. It is a thriving campus community situated in one of the most vibrant regions of the U.S. Students can enjoy a range of opportunities on campus that support both professional growth and student life. Read More
- UCI is ranked #9 among public universities nationwide by U.S. News & World Report
- Internationally, UCI is ranked in the top 100 degree granting institution. In 2017 the Center for World University Rankings placed UCI 53rd in the U.S. and 96th in the world, while the Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University's Center for World-Class Universities ranked UCI 34th in the U.S. and 64th in the world.
- UCI is ranked 7th in the world among the 100 best universities less than 50 years old according to Times Higher Education "100 Under 50" which shows institutions poised to become future world leaders.
- The National Research Council has ranked a number of UCI doctoral programs among the top in the country. The School of Physical Sciences was an area of particular strength, with all four programs – Chemistry, Earth System Science, Mathematics and Physics & Astronomy – rated in the top quartile nationally. Other outstanding areas include Neuroscience (Anatomy & Neurobiology and Neurobiology & Behavior), Anthropology, Civil Engineering and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology.
- The Paul Merage School of Business MBA programs consistently rank among the best in the world, including a Financial Times #1 ranking for employing the highest percentage of female faculty and ranked 41st in the Nation in Latest Forbes Report.
- The 2014-15 Philosophical Gourmet Report ranked the five specialty areas of the graduate program in Philosophy in the Top 10 in the US. These include: Philosophy of Physics (#2); Philosophy of Mathematics (#4); General Philosophy of Science (#6); Decision, Rational Choice and Game Theory (#7); and Philosophy of Social Science (#8).
- Three UCI graduate programs and specialities are among the nation's Top 12, according to the most recent rankings by U.S. News & World Report: Critical Theory Program (#1), Criminology (#3) and Organic Chemistry (#12).
- U.S. News also ranked UCI's online program for a Master of Advanced Study in criminology, law & society the top online graduate criminal justice program in the country.
- UCI placed third in Sierra magazine's 2017 "Coolest Schools" report as part of the environmental magazine's annual sustainability ranking of U.S. colleges and universities. The magazine is the official publication of the Sierra Club, one of the nation's largest and most influential environmental organizations. This marked the eighth year in a row that UCI ranked in the top 10.
- UCI received the prestigious STARS gold rating from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
- UCI faculty are highly ranked for scholarly productivity, including:
- Three UCI researchers have won Nobel Prizes: F. Sherwood Rowland and Irwin Rose in chemistry, and Frederick Reines in physics.
- UCI Professor of Biological Sciences, Francisco J. Ayala, is the recipient of the Templeton Prize along with other notables such as Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama.
- Vicki Ruiz, Distinguished Professor of history and Chicano/Latino studies, received the 2014 National Humanities Medal from President Barack Obama at the White House.
- Approximately 80 languages are spoken and 87 countries represented within our student body.
- UCI is the youngest of only 62 universities in the U.S. and Canada elected to membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities.
- UCI’s 140,000 graduates include leaders in the arts, sciences, business, and education — all walks of life. Among them are three Pulitzer Prize winners and the architect of the “HTTP/1.1” Internet protocol used worldwide.
- UCI has an annual economic impact on Orange County of $4.3 billion and is a significant contributor to the region’s talent-rich workforce.