Graduate Division

Financial Support

There are many different ways to fund your graduate education at UC Irvine. Funding packages for doctoral and MFA students may include various combinations of types of funding, such as teaching assistantships, research assistantships, or internal or extramural fellowships.  UC Irvine also offers a range of intramural funding opportunities for continuing graduate students. We encourage you to learn more about the most commonly used types of funding by visiting the Funding section of our website. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for extramural fellowship support, an important aspect of your funding picture as a graduate student.  UCI runs an aggressive extramural funding initiative to encourage and assist graduate students in applying for fellowships. Through the Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center, funding workshops are offered all year and you can get a head start by attending during the summer prior to your first year on campus.

  • Doctoral students are strongly urged to carefully review funding packages received from their academic programs. You are also encouraged to begin attending extramural funding workshops as early as the summer prior to the start of your first year on campus. Aside from financial benefits, securing a prestigious extramural fellowship will make your CV more competitive.
  • Master’s students are typically self-supported but may also be eligible for some of these resources. Check with your individual program for Master’s degree funding opportunities.
  • International students should be sure to verify that all of your relevant documentation is in order and complete.

Current fees can be found on the University Registrar’s website.


All U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent resident graduate students who wish to receive any form of financial support (including university fellowships) from UCIrvine are required to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. Students applying for need-based financial aid and/or federal loans must also submit any documents as requested by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Students are strongly encouraged to complete the online FAFSA. By obtaining a PIN from the U.S. Department of Education, you can sign your FAFSA electronically and the information is sent to UCIrvine in as little as 24-48 hours. Once your FAFSA is submitted via the web, you will receive a confirmation number. You should print out the confirmation page as proof that you submitted your FAFSA. 

NOTE: International students are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid (e.g., loans) and therefore do not need to complete a FAFSA.