Many academic units offer teaching opportunities to outstanding graduate students who are employed in the following ASE (Academic Student Employee) titles:
During the academic year, ASEs may be appointed for a maximum of half-time service (220 hours/quarter). Registration as a full-time student (12 units) is required, and students must meet academic eligibility requirements for grades, GPA and satisfactory progress. The duration and extent of such appointments vary by academic unit.
Assistantship offers are made to students by the academic unit following formal admission to graduate study. Students should contact their departments for further information.
- Minimum GPA of 3.1 for Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 for Readers & Tutors
- Satisfactory academic progress towards degree objective
- A letter grade of C, S, or above in all courses completed in the last three quarters
- No more than two (2) Incomplete grades (except where stricter school policies apply) in the last three quarters
Information on Union Representation
All Academic Student Employee (ASE) appointments are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the University of California and the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW). Click here to view the entire contract.
- UAW 2865 Membership Election Form
Click here for information on English Proficiency requirements.
Benefits for Graduate Students Employed as ASEs
Graduate students who are appointed as Teaching Assistants and Teaching Associates at 25% time (110 hours of assigned workload) or greater and for graduate students who are appointed as Tutors and Readers for a guaranteed minimum of 110 hours of assigned workload within the respective quarter’s service period are entitled to the following benefits:
- Partial Fee Remission: Payment of 100% of the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP) premium and 100% of the Student Services Fee and Tuition components of a student’s assessment per quarter. Note that this does not include payment of NonResident Supplemental Tuition, nor does it include payment of campus-based fees.
- Defined Contribution Plan (DCP) coverage in accordance with UC Retirement Plan (Summer employment only).
- Childbirth Accommodation and Childcare Reimbursement