Graduate Division

financial aid

Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid is available only to domestic (i.e., U.S. Citizen and Permanent Resident) graduate students. Financial Aid includes loans and Federal Work-Study awards. To be considered for Financial Aid, students must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the deadline. Because demonstrated financial need is an eligibility requirement for some fellowships, domestic students who do not intend to apply for Financial Aid are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA.

Please Note: For students who have applied for and accepted Financial Aid loans or Work-Study awards and subsequently receive any fellowships, the additional support may affect  eligibility for need-based financial aid. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to determine if their eligibility is affected.

UC Irvine’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS) administers Financial Aid. For more information about this form of financial support, visit the OFAS website:

Graduate students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents and appointed as a Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) or Graduate Student Assistant Researcher (GSAR) may be eligible for Federal Work Study funding administered by the Graduate Division at UC Irvine. Students do not apply directly for Federal Work Study funding, but may be nominated by their schools for such funding. For more information, click here.