PRE-Professor Program (UCI/CSULB)
CSU Long Beach Pre-Professor Program
Now Accepting Applications for Fall 2021!
PREPP Fellows will participate in PREPP activities during the CSULB Fall 2021 semester (August 17 – December 23, 2021)
Applications are due Monday, May 10, 2021, by 10 am. For more information about the program, attend the upcoming information session:
Virtual PREPP Information Session
Thursday, April 29, 2021
10 am - 11 am
What is PREPP?
The PRE-Professor Program (PREPP) is designed to support the University of California, Irvine (UCI) doctoral students’ and postdoctoral scholars’ transition to a faculty position by engaging them in a semester-long program at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB). In addition, PREPP is a blueprint to support CSULB’s efforts to foster a pipeline for prospective new faculty. The goal of PREPP is to immerse participants in the life of a faculty member at a comprehensive master’s granting institution. PREPP fellows will have individual mentorship from an experienced Faculty Mentor in three broad categories: Instruction, Understanding the Campus Culture, and Service.
For the Fall 2021 cohort, we accept applications from candidates with expertise in any discipline/department represented at CSULB (please see link for departments at CSULB https://www.csulb.edu/academic-affairs/colleges/colleges-departments). Underrepresented students are encouraged to apply.
PREPP Fellows will be partnered with a CSULB Faculty Mentor who will oversee the project. Fellows will learn what faculty life is like at a comprehensive master’s granting institution. Your doctoral studies and post-doc positions prepare you for research and scholarship, which is a large part of the job. This program focuses on the other components of a faculty position, instructionally related activities (teaching, curriculum, mentoring students), service activities, and how research is conducted at a master’s comprehensive university.
Instructional activities are a broad topic that encompasses teaching (and all the tasks associated with that) and mentoring. Teaching is a rather broad category that includes several tasks from planning for instruction, planning and teaching lessons, and mentoring students (teaching in small groups or one-on-one).
Campus Culture of a Comprehensive Master’s University & Service
Fellows will learn how a campus runs and the role of a faculty member within the structure of a comprehensive university. First and foremost, Fellows need to learn about department life within their field(s). How does a department run, what’s expected of new faculty, and in what role(s) do junior faculty engage? How is research carried out, and what forms of support are there for research? These questions will be answered by participating in a variety of tasks, discussions, and assignments.
Typical Program Activities/Assignments
I = Instruction, M = Mentoring, C = Campus Culture, S = Service, JR = Job Readiness
- Develop a Syllabus (I)
- Prepare and teach two class sessions in a course within your eld (ideally one lower-division and one upper-division) (I)
- Observations of teaching with debriefing (I)
- Identify instructional support services on campus (I)
- Curriculum Committee (I, C, S)
- Attend a department meeting (C)
- Meet with Department Chair (C)
- Tenure/Retention Expectations (C)
- Understanding Shared Governance (S, C)
- Components of a good cover letter (JR, C)
- Inclusive Excellence Statement/Teaching Philosophy Statement (JR, C)
- Attend a lab meeting (M)
- Attend a mentoring meeting between faculty and student (M)
Other Program Benefits
● CSULB will pay for parking
● UCI will contribute a small stipend to support travel of PREPP Fellows ($500).
Interested doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars will prepare an application and submit the following documents to be reviewed by UCI and CSULB program faculty.
Applications are due Monday, May 10, 2021 by 10 am for Fall 2021
A PDF with these instructions is available here: Application Instructions
Please prepare the following documents, and once you have completed them, please complete the PREPP application and upload your documents to https://tinyurl.com/CSULBPREPP
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement (500 words or less) which focuses on the following prompts:
- Tell us about yourself.
- Why are you applying for this program? What do you hope to gain from the experience?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Teaching Interest / Experience Statement. Your statement might include responses to the following prompts (500 words or less)
- What teaching experience have you had? Describe your strengths and weaknesses as an instructor.
- What do you want to learn about teaching and instructionally related activities?
- What do you think teaching diverse undergraduate students might look like?
- What do you think would be the most effective approaches to teaching diverse undergraduate students?
- Describe a particular memorable teaching/learning episode.
- UCI Research Mentor Letter of Recommendation - to be emailed directly by Mentor (Download)
- PREPP Application Confidential Data Sheet (Download)
For more program information, contact PREPP@CSULB.EDU